3-3 Great Blogging Idea for the Social Studies Classroom

One of my favorite bloggers is Jennifer Gonzalez! I was introduced to her through a graduate class and I have been reading her blogs ever since. Jennifer has great ideas for a wide range of topics including creative ways to use student blogs.

As I was reading her blog post centered on student blogging, I came across a project that would work great in a sixth-grade Social Studies classroom. The project titled Special Interest Blog seemed a perfect fit for middle school students to share what they have learned. Jennifer suggested students choose a historical period, event, place, or person to focus their writing on. The idea of having students write a blog post from the perspective of a historical figure or discuss historical events is a great way for them to reflect on what they learned. Getting their classmates to comment and/or continue writing about a similar topic is a perfect way to collaborate and share knowledge.

My plan is to create a blogging project that students will use during our study of Egyptian pharaohs. Students will each choose a pharaoh that they will become on our class blog (which needs to be created!). Students will tell about the reign of the pharaoh by focusing on a specific event in the pharaoh’s life. Students will have to use what we learned about the pharaoh in class along with adding some personality traits to their writing. Peers will comment on the blogs either by asking questions or expanding on the subject.

I’m excited to try out this blogging project and hope it is a hit with the students! I can’t wait to read blogs written by Ramses II, King Tut, and Hatshepsut. Thanks, Jennifer Gonzalez, for a great idea.

3 thoughts on “3-3 Great Blogging Idea for the Social Studies Classroom

1. That is a very interesting way to use blogging. As I was considering the different blog posts about different pharaohs, I was wondering what would happen if the students commented on each other’s posts from the perspective of the particular pharoah they researched, making sure to include in each comment some sort of clear comparison or contrast between the two pharoah’s lives, reigns, eternal “after-living” conditions. Sixth graders seem to do very well with that type of imaginative social learning. Could be fun!

2. Hi Kristy,
    What a great idea to allow students to take on a different role than simply writing a paper about a pharaoh they learned about! Doing this project in a blog format will really put the students in the scenario as they will be responding to comments still in the role of the Pharaoh they choose.

3. Hi Kristy,
    I also came across Jennifer’s blog and loved her ideas, too! I used her Portfolio Blog idea, but it’s amazing that using just the general concept can be molded to be used across any content area. Your project idea sounds so fun! I would’ve loved to do something like that in my middle school social studies class.